Do you have favorite proverbs? What are they? What do they mean?
What do the proverbs below mean to you?
- What defines us is how we rise after falling
- Diligence is the mother of good fortune
- Virtue is its own reward
- Quality is not an act, it is a habit
- Never underestimate the power of denial
- By different methods different men excel
What is your favorite proverb? Listening exercise
Complete the proverbs:
Don’t __ a book by its cover
Don’t __ your chickens before they hatch
Hear and I forget; see and I understand; I do and I __
Everything will be as it __ be
The grass is always greener on the other __
What goes around, __ around
Explaining proverbs listening exercise
Laughter helps with stress
Remind me to buy food so that I don’t forget
Charity is when you donate your time or money
Listen. What is Emma’s favorite proverb? What does it mean?
Asking what something means:
Do you know what it means? – It means..
What does it mean to you? – It could mean..
Do you have any idea what it means? – I think it means..
What do you think it means? – It reminds me ..
Proverbs and success discussion
- What proverbs are common in your culture? How to say them in English? Check your knowledge of English proverbs and sayings here
- Certainly, there are proverbs about job skills. Do you know some of them? For example, excellence is not a skill, it’s an attitude. What does it mean to you?
- What businesses can have much success nowadays?
- What proverbs would be suitable for a job interview?
- What work proverbs or idioms do you know? Learn more about work and people at work idioms.
- How do you plan to achieve success in life? What personality traits do you need to improve?
- Does success depend on cultural background? Learn more about discrimination with a video lesson.