Questions to talk about goals
- What are your goals and dreams?
- What is your biggest goal in life?
- What are your short term goals?
What do you hope to do ten or twenty years from now?
- be financially independent
- get out of debt
- be more confident
- get my own place
- manage money better
Types of goals
|personal||become a great party host, clean out the wardrobe, donate clothes to charity shops, drive a zero-emission vehicle, to store your mind on the computer, to stop being superstitious|
|professional||expand a YouTube channel, organize an event|
|physical||not being too overworked, to get out of bed right away|
|financial||to pay off debt|
|intellectual||to buy more high-quality items, to see a nutritionist to design a healthy eating plan, to learn more about rituals and customs of different cultures|
Key video vocabulary
achieve your goals
excel at your job
Goals video exercises
Watch the video. What does Cathy talk about?
- her studies
- her fitness level
Correct the mistakes:
- Cathy is trying to achieve 2 main goals.
- Cathy doesn’t keep herself fit.
- Cathy wants to excel at personal relationships
- Cathy says it is important to keep a balanced diet
- Mental health is your physical activity
What can be the goals or dreams of the woman below?
- What goals do you set for yourself?
- What are your professional/work goals?
- Do you plan to have your own business?
- What job skills do you need to achieve professional goals?
- What health goals can you set?
- Do you have a goal to follow a healthy diet? What healthy foods would you like to eat more?
- How can you achieve your goals? Is there anything you want to excel at?
- What personality traits do you want to improve to achieve your goals?
- When you set your goals, how far into the future do you plan?
- How predictions of the future influence your goals?
- Can superstitions affect your goals and plans?
- What proverbs about success or goals do you know?
- What scientific and technological goals can be important for humanity?
Additional listening and reading about goals, dreams and plans
I’ve set myself goals around achieving stuff at work, but also achieving stuff personally. So having a good balance and maintaining that sort of equality and and not being too overworked with one. And so you can’t enjoy the other.
My goal this year is to expand a YouTube channel I started. I like to just get the word out there and talk to people about Asian cinema. And spread the word because there’s some great stuff that people miss out on.
Well, I’ve beaten the bullet I’ve given up work and I’m following my dream. I’m going back to school to follow arts. It’s what I’ve always wanted to do. And I sort of thought if I’m not going to do it now when am I going to do it.
Keep enjoying school and yeah I mean get a good career at the end of it.
Fo be contentious first and to be competent in whatever field of enterprise I choose. And that somehow must be of service to humanity. Since I realized I’m not permanent here.
My goals are basically professional like so publishing papers and doing stuff like that. But yeah I do not have very any other goals I think.
I do really well at uni to be a better person within myself and my family life. And to kind of do things properly that’s definitely that’s the main goal.
Key goals vocabulary
|achieve your goals|
|set your goals|
|excel at your job|
|I have three main goals|
|I’ve set myself goals around work|
|I’m following my dream|
|It must be of service to humanity|
|My goals are basically professional|
|That’s definitely the main goal|
Learn more English phrases for talking about plans and goals!