Environmental problems questions
What eco-friendly goals can you set for yourself?
- Buying groceries and vegan food without plastic packaging
- Purchase high-quality ethical&sustainable clothing brands
- Buy seasonal veggies and fruits
Is the Earth getting warmer? Will there be problems if the Earth gets warmer?
How can we achieve zero waste?
Do a vocabulary exercise about environmental issues below👇:
Key video vocabulary
not that common in this country
it wasn’t very expected
Climate change video exercises
Watch the video. What does Marcel talk about?
- global warming
- his opinion about climate change
- weather change
Video discussion questions
Can devastating storms happen in your country? What natural disasters are common in the area where you live in? Are there natural phenomena you don’t expect?
- What types of pollution do you know?
- What environmental problems are there in your area? What problems are common in the city?
- How serious can climate change be in the future?
- What can you do personally to protect the environment?
- What is a fast fashion problem?
- Can changing your daily diet help the environment?
- What your everyday decisions can help the environment?
- How does the fashion industry harm the environment?
- What can governments do to save the planet?
- How can technology and science help to stop climate change?
- What other global problems can you name?
Additional listening and reading about climate change and global warming
What is climate change? When we use a car the engine makes a gas called CO2. The CO2 comes out of the exhaust pipe and floats up into the air. Because lots of people use cars, lots of CO2 is going up into the air when we leave the TV or the lights on that uses electricity. Electricity comes from a power station and that makes lots of CO2. Aeroplanes make even more CO2 than cars. There is so much CO2 in the air that it’s covering us like a big blanket. This blanket of CO2 can make the air too hot. This is called climate change.
Sometimes it causes droughts when there’s not enough rain and all the plants die. Sometimes the hot air makes great big storms called cyclones. Storms make big waves that smash up coral reefs. The heat can warm up the sea causing the corals to lose their color and die and the fish to go away.
How can we protect animals, plants and beautiful places like the Great Barrier Reef? Let’s go back to the start. There are lots of things we can do to make less CO2. We can cycle or walk to places instead of going in the car. We can make sure we switch off the TV and lights when we’re not in the room. We can travel by bus instead of flying. If we make less CO2, we can help make the Great Barrier Reef a safe and happy home for all the animals and plants.
Environmental problems and how to help
|Specific problems||How to help the environment|
|car exhaust fumes||save energy|
|toxic fumes emissions||recycle and upcycle|
|toxic waste||use alternative sources of renewable energy: solar, wind, etc.|
|oil spill||go green, environmental awareness|
|wildlife in danger||use eco-friendly biodegradable materials|
Key Climate change, environmental problems vocabulary
|not that common in this country|
|use alternative sources of energy|
|car exhaust fumes|
|lots of CO2 is going up into the air|
|it causes droughts|
|The heat can warm up the sea|
|to make sure we switch off the TV and lights|
Learn more with BBC English talk about global warming 🌳 and a British Council video lesson about climate change.
What weather superstitions do you know about?